Roofline repair is a home improvement project that often goes overlooked. However, taking care of your home’s roof is extremely important and if you fail to do so, you may end up with expensive damage to the interior and exterior of your property. If you are a new homeowner or have never needed to worry about a property’s roof in the past, it can be challenging to understand the importance of roofline repair and maintenance.
Jewel Windows is a reputable home improvement company and our experts have put together this ultimate guide to rooflines. By the time you have finished reading this article, you will understand what roofline products are and why their maintenance and repair are essential to the overall performance of your home’s roof.
What is Roofline Repair?
A property’s roofline consists of four components:
- Guttering - When you look up at a property’s roofline, the guttering is the easiest component to spot. Guttering runs along the entire edge of the roof and its purpose is to drain rainwater away. For effective drainage, guttering is usually attached to a pipe that transports water away from your roof and down into the ground, or into a water butt.
- Fascias - Fascias are boards fitted at the edge of a home’s roof timbers. Fascias are manufactured to support a heavy load and can help to protect your home from weather damage. The roofline fascias keep the bottom row of tiles in position and are the solid base to which guttering is installed.
- Bargeboards - Similar to fascias, bargeboards are fitted to provide weather protection. This part of the roofline is attached to the diagonal eaves and creates a tight seal around the roof rafter edges, stopping moisture from getting inside and causing rot.
- Soffits - Soffits are flat boards, tightly fitted underneath the fascias. This part of the roofline protects the exposed part of the overhanging sections of the roof. The soffits protect the roof rafters from the natural elements and seal the roof space, preventing animals and birds from making their way into the roof.
All of the roofline components work in tandem to protect your property’s roof and enhance the appearance of your home. When any of the roofline parts become damaged, your roof can become at risk of expensive weather damage. Roofline repair involves either cleaning and fixing damaged parts, or replacing them entirely with new products. Roofline repair is a cost-effective way to keep your roof in full working order.
Why is Roofline Repair Important?
Keeping all parts of your home’s roofline clean and clear is essential. If water is left to build up in the guttering, it can become too heavy and begin to break away from the fascias. Leaving your clogged gutters in this condition can result in severe damage to the roofline as a whole. Once one component starts to fail, a domino effect can occur and cause issues elsewhere that could have easily been avoided. Clogged up gutters may start to leak down into the soil surrounding your home and cause damage to your foundations and basement over time.
Leaking water can also result in mould and create damp spots inside your home’s walls and ceilings. Left unchecked, leaking gutters can compromise the strength of your home’s structure and ruin its interior and exterior appearance.
When tree branches connect with your roof, this gives birds, insects and rodents an easy route into your property. Birds can build nests in gutters and fascias and homeowners are not allowed to remove them. That’s right, once a bird decides to set up camp on your roofline, the law is not on your side and you must leave it there until your new feathered friends decide to move on.
Rats can also get into your roofline and make their way through cracks into your roof and attic. Dealing with a rat infestation can be stressful and expensive, that is why regularly inspecting your roofline for damage is so important.
How To Maintain Your Home’s Roofline:
It can be all too easy to neglect your property’s roofline, especially if you are not noticing any obvious issues. However, if you wait for your roof to start leaking excessively or for birds to make themselves at home in the rafters, you may end up having to pay for a whole new roof.
Regular roofline maintenance can stop common roof problems in their tracks. Prevention is always the best course of action and here are our top roofline maintenance tips:
- Regularly remove leaves from guttering
- Clear debris and dirt from all areas of the roofline
- Inspect all parts of the roofline for cracks, rust, rot and damage
- Trim tree branches that touch your roofline to prevent water and small animals entering your guttering and roof
- Clear moss from the roofline
- Check for signs of ageing uPVC and other materials, contact a trained professional if repairs or replacements are needed
- Remove snow from the roofline following poor weather conditions
Signs Your Roofline Needs Replacing
Replacing your home’s roofline can help to protect your roof, ceilings and walls from further damage in the future. If you are not sure if it is time to replace your roofline, here are the key signs to look out for:
- Animal droppings/nests in your roof
- Flaking, cracks and other visible damage
Replace Your Property’s Roofline With Jewel Windows!
Jewel Windows is a family run renovation business based in Surrey. We are proud to improve homes in Guildford, Ascot, Woking and the surrounding areas. We offer a replacement roofline service, upgrading your home’s guttering, fascias and soffits. At Jewel, we offer bespoke uPVC roofline products and we will work alongside you to design the best solution for your home.
All Jewel installers are FENSA approved and we offer several financing options, making it possible for all homeowners to fund a roofline replacement. Get in touch with our team today to begin your latest home improvement project. Fill in our online contact form or use our online tools to receive a bespoke quote today.