Contemporary windows and doors are built to last and can stay in top condition for several decades. If you want to keep your windows and doors looking and performing at their best, you will need to properly clean and maintain them over the years. It can be difficult to know how to best care for windows and doors, especially as not all profiles are made from the same materials, but the experts here at Jewel Windows are here to offer a helping hand.
We have put together this simple guide to caring for your windows and doors. Follow our advice, and your windows will be shining, and your doors will continue to look ‘just like new’ for many years to come.
Window and Door Maintenance Tips
All windows and doors will require some maintenance throughout their lifetime. Whilst old timber frames are known to suffer a worse fate than uPVC and aluminium when it comes to weather damage, even profiles made from high grade materials need a little care and attention from time to time.
If you have ever seen a property with traditional timber windows and doors still installed, you may have noticed the paint flaking away or the frames rotting and losing their shape. Often, the best course of action for windows and doors in this condition is to replace them with modern timber-replica profiles - these contemporary designs mimic the look of natural timber but are made from more durable materials.
For homeowners with uPVC, aluminium or composite windows and doors, the maintenance required is minimal but does need to be checked on a regular basis.
Here are three tips from our experts on how to best maintain your home’s windows and doors:
- Repair minor damage - A full window or door replacement is not always necessary, as many parts can be repaired. For instance, you may be able to replace a cracked or smashed glass panel without having to purchase an entire new window unit. Many home improvement companies offer quality guarantee packages that cover parts and labour costs, should any repair work be needed.
- Lubricate moving parts - Over time, locks, handles and hinges can become sticky, and you may struggle to operate your windows and doors smoothly. By applying lubricating oil to the moving parts as necessary, your windows and doors will continue to function correctly.
- Check weather stripping - Many modern windows and doors are manufactured with built in weather stripping. This weatherproof barrier can be made from various materials, including rubber and vinyl tubing. Weather stripping is designed to endure intense conditions, but it can still become damaged over time. A tear or hole in the weather stripping can lead to reduced thermal performance and poor weather protection. Checking the stripping occasionally will ensure you continue to receive the best performance from your windows and doors and notice any damage before it becomes a major problem.
The majority of contemporary windows and doors will not need to be repainted, as they have been coloured using hard wearing paint and state-of-the art methods. With uPVC and aluminium window frames and composite doors available in a wide range of colours, homeowners can find their perfect shade and enjoy a glossy finish for many years to come.
If your windows and doors are on the older side and looking a little worse for wear, a fresh lick of high quality paint can work wonders.
How To Keep Windows and Doors Clean
Keeping your home’s windows and doors clean doesn’t need to feel like a chore. In fact, modern frames are often hard wearing and weather resistant. All you need to do to keep your windows and doors looking sparkling and new is:
- Regularly wipe the frames down with warm water and a non-abrasive cloth.
- Occasionally use a hoover with the soft brush attachment to clean away any dirt and dust inside the crevices of the frames.
- Use a glass cleaning solution and a microfiber cloth to wipe the glazing panels and remove any dirt and smudges.
If you do not feel confident cleaning your windows, you can hire a professional to get the job done. By taking good care of your home’s windows and doors, they will stay in top condition for well over a decade.
Upgrade Your Windows and Doors with Jewel Windows
Upgrading your home’s windows and doors can transform the appearance of your property and provide several performance benefits. Compared to older designs, modern windows and doors are often made from durable materials and are built to improve the energy efficiency of a property. Contemporary uPVC and aluminium profiles can withstand all weather conditions and will offer optimum performance for many years to come.
At Jewel Windows, we install a wide range of low maintenance windows and doors across Surrey. Our selection of windows and doors includes aluminium bifold doors, sash windows, Tilt & Turn frames, composite doors and more.